one-gang, one-way light switch fed by 2 cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to move a light switch to more convenient position (at the moment it is behind the door).

However, I am not familiar with the way it has been wired. This is a one-gang, one-way switch. But it is fed by two cables. Currently the two black wires are joined together by a loose terminal within the unit; and the two red wires are used for the C and L1 connections (nb, there is only this one switch for the light). Both earth wires are connected to the earth terminal within the unit.

Can anybody tell me the best way of moving this switch? I was planning on extending the cable, but did not expect to find two. Do I have to extend both?

This site has helped me in the past with wiring a two-gang dimmer - I'm very appreciative of this forum!

Sponsored Links
Wired like this?
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=26
maryos said:
Can anybody tell me the best way of moving this switch? I was planning on extending the cable, but did not expect to find two. Do I have to extend both?
1)You could extend both wires but please be aware that any junction boxes should be accessible for inspection.
2)You could remove the wires from source and replace with new.
3)You could add a junction box in accessible location
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=40
(ignore the wire to next light on diagram)

Hello Spark123

Thank you very much for the prompt response!

1) Yes! that is it - and perfectly clear now - thanks

2) that makes sense... or could I turn the existing switch into a junction box? ... making sure I get my <supply> and <light fitting> cables the right way round

Thanks again,

p.s. thanks for point on junction box accessibility - might not have occured to me

Sponsored Links
One red & black is the live and neutral. The 2nd red and black is switch wire and neutral. The two blacks joined together is the neutral joint.
You could extend both cables to new switch position and just put a blanking plate in place of the original switch.

Maboza

Access from above: unfortunately not - I live in a flat; no idea how I would get into ceiling (must be possible, but would have to be a professional)

Maboza: thanks for the explanation & suggestion

I can't see any reason why you can't use terminal block to extend from the existing switch (replace switch with a blanking plate, do not bury) as long as where the cable is burried it must comply with the rules for concealed cables. If the cable is run on the surface it should be protected by trunking or a conduit. Use the same size cable as the existing install and minimum 5A terminal block. If the original back box is metal, it must still be earthed .

Thank you very much - this is very clear. I will do as you suggest. It should not be necessary to bury the cables, as most of the run is around door frame - both current and intended replacement switch positions are only a few centimetres away from door.

Thanks again - & good night!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back