One rad that only gets warm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

Would anyone be able to shed any light on a problem I'm having with my heating.
I have a glow worm Micron 30 wall mounted boiler in the kitchen.
I have a hot water tank upstairs in a cupboard. Cold water tank & expansion tanks are in the loft, both are full & valves working.

8 radiators, 4 upstairs 4 down (1 is a double). 1 of the downstairs rads in the hall will only get warm, no where near the temperature of the other 7.
7 rads show 50 deg C The problem one will only get up to 30 deg C

I have removed the rad to paper behind it as I have done with all but 1 of the others.

I have tried turning all 7 rads the get hot off, then turn the heating on. The problem rad still only gets warm & very slowly at that. (Max 40 deg C)
One of the valves on the end gets hot, the other stays cool to the touch.
I have no TRV's on any of the rads.

Since I have had this problem I have removed the rad again to check nothing is causing a blockage in the rad, it wasn't.
While the rad was off I drained some water off from the 2 valves at either end to check for a blockage there, all seems well.

Both sides of pipes at either side of the pump gets hot, the pump appears to be working, I can feel the vibration from it.
I have the pump set on the 1st setting and have tried it on the other 2, once again no change.

Thanks for reading, any help would be greatly received.

Darren

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back