One radiator not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large detached house - all radiators work ok except the one in the lounge which i think must be the furthest from the pump / tank as it has a drain mechanism. It gets little more than lukewarm at the top, but cold at bottom. The feed pipe / TRV is hot but the return is cold - all the other rads around the house are piping hot - Any help please !!

Sponsored Links
Get a keston boiler? (was a joke... nevermind)

Is this a new system or a problem that has only just started to occur?

The house is only 5 years old. The problem had been there for as long anyway. As far as i can remember the rad has never really got hot. I just checked the rad, and the top is lukewarm full length, but the bottom is cold full length except for the feed pipe / TRV at one end. All the others are boiling hot.

Unscrew the top of your TRV valve and make sure the pin moves up and down with a pair of plyers.

reattach the TRV valve and see if uve freed it up a bit.

If the problem persists. try closing the lock shield side of your other radiators, it may be a balancing issue.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestions and help so far !! The pin under the TRV pushed up and down freely and no difference in rad noted. Do i have to turn off the lockshield valves on all the other rads in the house (there are quite a lot !!) or just downstairs ones ? And do i turn them off fully or partially ?

Thanks for the suggestions and help so far !! The pin under the TRV pushed up and down freely and no difference in rad noted. Do i have to turn off the lockshield valves on all the other rads in the house (there are quite a lot !!) or just downstairs ones ? And do i turn them off fully or partially ?
Turn about 3 or 4 off to start with

Hi aain - i turned off all three downstairs rads (except the faulty one). Now they are all cold at the bottom and srtill hot at top - so no change with faulty one. I remember when the house was built that i had to get the builder back in for numerous problems including lots of faulty rads. I assumed they had sorted it out by balancing the system, but obviously not. Do you think that balancing is the problem and if so what should i do ?

open up all TRVs to full... close all lockshields except the faulty radiator... if it doesnt get hot. its not a balancing issue... possible sludge. possibly a faulty TRV still.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back