One radiator not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening,

I have a radiator in the kitchen that is completely cold. The rest of the radiators in the house are fine and blasting out heat. I suspect maybe sludge in the kitchen rad as the inflow pipe is roasting hot. Outflow is cold though and seems to be open as normal. I've bled the radiator too and it actually made things worse, it was lukewarm to begin with.

Do you think the radiator needs a good clean? If so, I have a wood pellet boiler and not entirely sure how I would fill the radiator once I've put it back in place. There's a hot water tank in the cupboard and a cold tank in loft.

Sponsored Links
Sorry I forgot to mention that. Yeah I've checked it, its working fine. Immediately after the valve is hot too although I'm not sure if that's residual heat from the pipe or if its water trying to push through.

Sponsored Links
I've got the heating on and all the other radiators turned off. Doesn't seem to be heating up at all.

If both valves are open a blockage or restriction in the rad or upto it maybe the problem

Checked the lockshield and opened it up as far as it will allow and still nothing. Boiler is firing out 75 degree heat to the radiators and the rest heat up so quickly but this one is completely dead. The inflow pipe is roasting hot though and the outflow is a little bit warm but only at the bottom.

Not sure if it's related but that radiator used to give a slight gurgle every time the heating came on. Now nothing.

Must be either a blockage, a valve stuck closed or there is no water in the rad.

Remove rad and check flow into a bucket.
Run each pipe until hot flow then refit rad and vent

Thanks everyone for your help. I think I'm going to take the radiator off and give it a rinse out to see if anything comes out.

The boiler is a wood pellet boiler and I'm just wondering how to refill the radiator once I've put it back. I believe that with a gravity system the F/E tank should just fill the radiator and push the air out right? (edit: with the bleed valves open of course) However I don't think we have this tank which leads me to believe it could be a sealed system. Would this mean opening a tap somewhere to re pressurise and compensate for the air escaping similar to a combi boiler?

Look for another much smaller cold water tank in the loft. (The F&E cistern) Otherwise you're looking for a PRV/Gauge/Filling loop and Expansion vessel

Sorry I forgot to mention that. Yeah I've checked it, its working fine. Immediately after the valve is hot too although I'm not sure if that's residual heat from the pipe or if its water trying to push through.
have you actually tried pushing the pin in ( couple of times ) alone with trv head removed ?, or are you just turning the trv to check it ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back