One radiator cold the rest just warm........

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I live in a 3 bedroom house and have a system of 7 radiators throughout the house. 6 of the radiators are touchable/hot but one of the radiators is cold.

I have bled all radiators and still the problem persists. l have to bled the radiators every week and 2 radiators upstairs are the ones with air in them.I don't know if this matters, but the radiator that is cold is downstairs in the dining room l only have one more downstairs in the hallway and that is warm/hot. The boiler is a Baxi solo 3 pfl 40 and the pump is in the airing cupboard with the c/heating tank in the loft.

Any suggestions would be great as the house is freezing?

Sponsored Links
close the hot ones and see if the cold ones warm up.

If so, you need to Balance the system.

You could also give it a chemical clean with Sentinel X400 or similar, this never hurts and usually helps.

Read the "Similar Topics " lower down this page

Sponsored Links
close the hot ones and see if the cold ones warm up.

If so, you need to Balance the system.

You could also give it a chemical clean with Sentinel X400 or similar, this never hurts and usually helps.

Read the "Similar Topics " lower down this page
l'll try this johnD, if the system needs balancing how do l go about this...

Also yes l have tryed bleeding the rads with the pump off. Someone said it could have something to do a pipe in the loft :confused:

Have you done what JohnD suggested? if so what was the result.
Are the radiators fitted with TRVs

If you're bleeding rads that often you have more problems than just 1 cold rad. I would suggest you've got a partial bockage where the cold feed enters the system, incorrectly piped system, loads of sludge and/or no inhibitor.

Have you done what JohnD suggested? if so what was the result.
Are the radiators fitted with TRVs
Tryed all the above and the bottom rad is still cold :confused: the rads are not fitted with TRV's . What can cause air to enter the system so often, the vent pipe in the loft could this cause it, if so what can l do to cure this. l'm also going to chemical clean with Sentinel X400 and see if that makes a difference but l need to get this sorted quickly as the house is like a fridge :(

So, with all the radiators apart from the problem one turned off, and the problem one with both valves open it still stays cold. you must have a blockage, Try bleeding this radiator with one valve open and one closed, then swap which one is open and closed. If in one of these situations no water comes out you know which side is blocked.
If you are bleeding every week this could mean the system is not inhibited and its not air thats coming out but hydrgen gas. This gas can be ignited as it exits the bleeder. I am not suggesting that you try this

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back