Strange radiator problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

When I switch the heating on all the radiators upstairs get piping hot but only some of the ones downstairs do.

Out of the five downstairs - dining room gets hot, one in lounge is hot (but not the other), toilet is hot but hallway is cold.

The cold ones have no heat in them at all, not even at bottom. I've bled all the radiators in the house.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Adam

Sponsored Links
Alter the lockshields on the hot ones to balance the system, gradually close them and the downstairs rads will heat up.

Turn off the upstairs rads and if the downstair rads get hot its either a balancing issue or your pump is failing.

Thanks for your replies guys.

Can I ask what the lockshields are? Is that at the other end of the rad to the main temperature valve?

Picasso - I've tried this but doesn't seem to make any difference

Cheers,
Adam

Sponsored Links
If you are referring to the thermostatic rad valves when you say temperature valves then yes the lockshields are the the ones on the other end. You could also try removing the heads on the TRV's to make sure the pins move and are not stuck down.

if your heating has been off all summer its likely that your TRV valves are stuck a very common problem, as suggested earlier remove the sensor head and make sure the pins move in and out easily when pressed

Thanks everyone for all your help - the pins were stuck down - problem solved!

Thanks once again.

Adam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back