Ongoing issue with boiler losing pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Getting a bit feed up with my combi boiler which keeps losing pressure. It's a Main Combi Eco 30 which is around 14 years old.

When we moved into the property about 6 years ago, it would occasionally lose pressure, eventually getting to the point where a plumber discovered the expansion vessel was full of water and replaced it in 2020. This improved things, but never completely stopped the loss of pressure, but I could put up with topping it up every few months or so.

Over the recent Christmas period we had a cold snap and the boiler began losing pressure overnight. I noticed the PRV was dripping when the boiler was in operation. A plumber came out and pumped up the expansion vessel, which seemed to work. However about 5 days later it lost pressure again, PRV also dripping. Same heating firm came back out and replaced the pressure vessel and PRV with new parts. Seemed to work flawlessly after this, including through another coldish snap, but about 4 weeks later it has lost pressure again overnight.

Not noticed any leaks anywhere in the system.

Starting to wonder if it could be something like the heat exchanger? Time for a new boiler?

Also, where do I stand with the heating firm? I get that things can be difficult to diagnose, but it seems to me they have just fired the parts cannon at the problem and hoped for the best, rather than actually investigate the issue?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back