Open borders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was just thinking, there are many things that are legal in one part of the EU but not another... there are obvious ones like marijuana, but there others which might seem bizarre to some people. Games console chips are illegal in the UK but legal in Spain, Absinth is legal in the UK but illegal in France.

So, how is it that we have open borders when there are things that can't be taken from one country to another? I've never seen a book detailing everything you are not allowed to take to your destination, and even if there is I doubt anyone reads it.

It's not really a big deal, just something I've been pondering. Any views/experiences?

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:
I was just thinking, there are many things that are legal in one part of the EU but not another... there are obvious ones like marijuana, but there others which might seem bizarre to some people. Games console chips are illegal in the UK but legal in Spain, Absinth is legal in the UK but illegal in France.

So, how is it that we have open borders when there are things that can't be taken from one country to another? I've never seen a book detailing everything you are not allowed to take to your destination, and even if there is I doubt anyone reads it.

It's not really a big deal, just something I've been pondering. Any views/experiences?
Didn't realise that! as soon as i get home i'm going to dismantle the kids Xbox and PS2 and hand them in at my local Bobby shop. ;) As for Absinth she should be banned all over the world stupid woman! oh i mean Hyacinth :LOL:

:LOL:

The absinth one surprised me when I found it out, after all wasn't the bohemian arty nature of 19th century Paris wholly due to vast consumption of the psychotropic green stuff? Perhaps the law was brought in to stop art students lazing about the place all the time!

As to the chips, it's a relatively recent thing. The British decided that the main use of a chip is to aid piracy, the Spanish decided that the ability to make a back-up copy of a £40 game or play imported games is perfectly fair.

AdamW said:

The absinth one surprised me when I found it out, after all wasn't the bohemian arty nature of 19th century Paris wholly due to vast consumption of the psychotropic green stuff? Perhaps the law was brought in to stop art students lazing about the place all the time!
Precisely why it should be banned, bunch of wusses dancing around flogging their weird art. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
kendor said:
AdamW said:

Precisely why it should be banned, bunch of wusses dancing around flogging their weird art. :LOL:

You're keeping us all guessing, Kendor. That's not the type of response I would have expected from a left wing Labour stalwart :!:

He's restoring balance in The Force: last week I was singing Blair's praises for sticking two fingers up with regards to the EU rebate, this week Ken has to be a neo-conservative.

Later today he shall be starting a thread on the abolition of lebsian single mothers with a disability ;)

ferdinanddebargos said:
kendor said:
AdamW said:

You're keeping us all guessing, Kendor. That's not the type of response I would have expected from a left wing Labour stalwart :!:
Then perhaps you got it wrong in the first place, never judge a book by it's cover. ;)

AdamW said:
He's restoring balance in The Force: last week I was singing Blair's praises for sticking two fingers up with regards to the EU rebate, this week Ken has to be a neo-conservative.

Later today he shall be starting a thread on the abolition of lebsian single mothers with a disability ;)
eh how so? ;)

Sponsored Links
Back