Open fire doesn't heat room?

I’ve got one of those - and I don’t even have a real fire OR a real chimney!

Sponsored Links
Get yourself down to a car boot sale and pick up a fireback. Buying them new is expensive, but I see countless firebacks and fire grates on boot sales - could try Gumtree too.

With a fireback an open fire can kick out a lot of heat into the room as the heat gets directed forward rather than being pulled up the chimney.

I have two woodburners but I grew up with coal fires and drink in pubs that have them.

Sponsored Links
I have a "straight-up" chimney and it doesn't throw out as much heat as the "proper" fireplace I had in the last (Edwardian) house. Yes, as has been mentioned you are going to lose a lot of heat up any chimney, open fires are inefficient.

But the one I have certainly heats the room nicely (big living room) even with the window open a crack to help with the draw.

I had to fit a Rotovent cowl to improve the draw (brilliant bit of kit!) and I burn the super hot smokeless coal nugget things that put out a lot more heat than ordinary coal or wood. You certainly can't sit close to it when it is really going without melting your face!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back