Open Safety Vent pouring water into F&E

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
System problem where the safety vent pipe it litterally pouring water into the f&e...to make matters worse the overflow was incorrectly installed so the water cannot discharge quick enough, then the F&E is over flowing onto the nice new ceiling :eek: :eek:

Have changed the overflow to try and stop this happening.

Whats the best way to test if the system has a blockage, or am I looking at a holed cylinder?

Have had a similar problem in the past but this time I know its the vent pipe that is discharging, not the expansion of water.

Any thoughts on how to test what this could be?

Sponsored Links
You have a cylinder fed from a cold water tank in the loft?

1) Turn off the supply to the cold tank (or tie up the ball valve). Observe if the level in the cold tank goes down by the same amount that water is appearing in the F&E.

2) (Not at the same time) Turn off the boiler so that the pump is not running. Observe if the flow stops.

Yes, sorry conventional vented system.

Just to clarify, point 1, assume you mean the ball valve on the CWS feeding the cylinder?

Point 2 could be a problem! When the venting happens it is quite a lot of water, but only for a short amount of time..so would not be able to check both points one after the other.

If point 1 is happening I assume the cylinder could be shot?

yes, test 1 indicates leaking cylinder coil £££££

test 2 suggests a blockage

If it is not test1, lower the water level in the F&E to just an inch or two above the outlet by adjusting the ball valve. this will give you max room for expansion while you find and cut out the blockage. Also turn down the pump speed to "1" or "min" A strong magnet will help find the blockage but I bet I know where it is anyway.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, will test and let you know, what type and where should I be able to buy a magnet (have not bought one since I was at school!!!!!)

Will the magnet stick to the blocked area or vice-a-versa?

The house is plumbed a little strange to normal, the F&E tank is a long way from the cylinder and raised up on stilts in the rafters, the vent drops to the floor level and has a couple of bends in before travelling about 2-3 meters before dropping into the room where the cylinder is!

Any clues on where you think the blockage might be, or are you keeping me guessing :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Most common place for blockage is where cold feed meets system especially if it is on a cross vented "h" system

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back