Open Vented System never needs top up

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I have a 50 year old open vented CH system with a combined cold feed and vent. I have a service (isolating) valve on the F&E tank mains supply to its ballcock which I keep permanently closed, I open this ~ every two months or so to check for any leaks etc and I have NEVER seen a drop of make up water required, the isolation valve is tight, there is absolutely no leak past if I check by draining off a few liters to lower the ball. A pin holed cylinder coil would not allow water from the CWST to "keep" the F&E tank full as the F&E is mounted above the CWST.
It seems inconceivable that no make up is required with a OV system, there is certainly no corrosion causing any gases to keep the level up, some of the rads are > 40 years old and I throw in the odd drop of inhibitor only if I drain down (one) rad every few years to renew a TRV or whatever.

Sponsored Links
If the F&E cistern has a tight fitting lid etc then there would be little or no evaporation, if the system is well conditioned and there are no leaks then no reason there should be any requirement for it to make up anything.

I'm probably a lot more surprised that the pump and other components have lasted that long purely from a wear and tear perspective.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back