Opening a doorway to 1.4m in old stone wall - best practice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps,

Go easy please, this is my first post!

The load-bearing wall in question is rubble filled 450mm thick and made of blue lias n lime mortar, and approx 120 yrs old.

It is the making good either side of the opening I am particularly interested in, as the wall, even when stitched drilled/cut would leave a rough, jagged edge to render etc.

So, putting the propping and lintels (etc) aside, what would be the best practice for making good either side?

If the wall was intentionally opened to leave a very jagged edge, and shuttered and concreted would this be acceptable - assuming rebar was used to tie each pour together in the stages of building up the side(s)?

Thanks in advance

Regards
P

Sponsored Links
I usually build up the jambs with brickwork, bonded as much as possible into the stonework. You often find that bricks were used for the quoins and frame opening jambs when originally built.

I usually build up the jambs with brickwork, bonded as much as possible into the stonework. You often find that bricks were used for the quoins and frame opening jambs when originally built.

Hi, and thanks for your reply.

The loose render revealed just stone, and no brick work.

Interesting you'd use brick to build up the jambs.

What is your opinion on shuttering and pouring concrete? I can borrow commercial shuttering and get hold of some rebar too...

Assuming the concrete ran into several cavities in the wall and contained some reinforcing, it would be more than man enough?

Cheers
P

Sponsored Links
yeah i would just brick up the jambs with commons aswell no need for conc and re bar :D

The reason we would usually use bricks is you can build a nice plumb jamb which to render or board into without to much hassle....concrete in stages with rebar sounds a lot of hassle, (commercial shuttering or not!).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back