Opinion please on this lead flashing work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

Long story as short as I can. We have recently had our some poorly fitted lead flashing replaced which was installed during our neighbours dormer construction and was causing a roof leak.

The new lead flashing which has been installed looks be of of very good standard and along with the roof felt; It looks to me that it will to v very water tight , (our roof is 1930's with no felt) so there should be no issues about that unless you kind people think different!

My question is about the finish on our neighbours dormer cheek; they have had to use two sections of lead flashing which has been joined very roughly. To me it looks rather unsightly but obviously from a distance it's less noticeable. However it wasn't like this before and I am concerned that our neighbour won't like it. (we already have a dispute about the responsibility of the leak)

So could I kindly gather some thoughts on this please? Is it acceptable or should it really be covered by perhaps another sheet of lead to hide the join? I should also say that this area is behind our chimney stack so can't be seen from the ground level.

I've attached some pictures on how it looked before and after. (First 6 are after and last 3 are before)

Many thanks in advance.

Jacob

Attachments

• 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    591.2 KB · Views: 202
  • 20 - Copy.jpg
    20 - Copy.jpg
    596.6 KB · Views: 186
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 180
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    683.2 KB · Views: 174
  • 28.jpg
    28.jpg
    594.6 KB · Views: 179
  • 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    805.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    581.5 KB · Views: 119
  • generalPhotos_0_394192_1673612537.jpg
    generalPhotos_0_394192_1673612537.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 108
  • generalPhotos_0_394192_11673612543.jpg
    generalPhotos_0_394192_11673612543.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
@freddiemercurystwin Appreciate your reply! Haha i do hope some others will chip in...i know it's no oil painting but was trying to be objective that looks are not everything! Now i am more anxious lol. :)

As above. Crude lead bashing, incorrectly fitted, & held together with silicone.

The join on the dormer cheek might be the least of your problems over the next few years?
I'm surprised that you are not already experiencing leaks from the leadwork?

Unless the neighbour has paid you then how come you seem to be taking responsibility for fixing problems on your roof - problems that have been caused by the neighbour?

Its difficult to follow the dating of the pics but, for instance, backgutters are notorious for problems, and your new(?) backgutter now seems to have no falls so its filling with debris thats not been washed away.

Sponsored Links
Hello @tell80. Firstly really appreciate taking the time to reply! Sorry if I was not clear; the first 5 pictures are of the new lead flashing which was installed today and the last 3 pictures are of how it was before (the job done by the neighbours roofers) with the silcone holding it all together!

So I am basically trying to understand if the new leadwork has been done to good standard. Specifcally the join shown in picture 23, 25 & 28 on the dormer cheek.

This has been a nightmare to be honest; we are hoping that the neighbour will pay for the repairs but it's not yet forthcoming. Long story short we hope that party wall award will force compensation else we might end up in court.

Last edited:
Looks like a 2 year old did it. Its not just untidy, its incorrect and the state of the dressing is nasty, the back gutter is already split on the chimney corner, I could list errors here that will bite you.

Get it re done by a capable person

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back