Opinions on carpentry please

That guy can only be a professional at one thing and it isnt carpentry, bodger comes to mind, professional people do things that they have been trained to do and take pride in their work, whoever it is for. People who take money for jobs that they think they can do but cant are not professionals apart from Bull sh@@ers and chancers. and unfortunatly there are a lot of them about. I am sure anyone with some apptitude could do a job like that has been done for themselves, if you want a professional job then it must be right. Time after time I have either seen for myself or heard about these people and they are just giving the trades a really bad name, they must be removed or else people may be killed due to their incompitance. ................Shoot him.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies to this.

I usually do most stuff myself, but I'm busy at the moment (doing a cellar conversion of my own, plus just fitted a shower for my girlfriend, plus plenty more).

The irony is the bit I was least keen on doing myself was the mitres: I can do basic carpentry, but I'm not good with "finish", getting things to line up perfectly. Unfortunately, it seems, neither is the carpenter we got in to do it.

Checkatrade certainly has its drawbacks but I won't deviate onto that. On the plus side, this fairly small job was doubling up as an audition for a load of work my girlfriend wants done in the bathroom and around the rest of the house, and stuff I need doing for my cellar, and it has served that purpose well. (He's failed.)

I'll upload some photos of it after the rework this evening...

Sponsored Links
So he sanded it and squirted some caulk and PVA about. It's still a shoddy mess.

You've given him his chance to fix his work. Don't pay him and get someone competant to redo it..

wow thats bad

why did he fit a 4x2 on the right hand side in the from above pic on pg1?
if he put the frame to the joist it would have given enough room on the otherside for a full archtrave?

on pic 3 or the orig pics dont even look like archtrave, just looks like pse

the from above pics look shocking framework and something id deffo want to change.

it is supporting the cieling joist in the middle as well as supporting the ladder, last thing you want is to step on that joist and it give way or the ladder frame pulling out whilst walking up it. it only looks tacked up

We've had another carpenter take a look, and the consensus is that it's overpriced and not a brilliant job, but it's safe. The structural part is done correctly. (There were more nails in the noggin than I initially saw.) So we'll pay the man, attempt to leave poor feedback on CheckATrade, and not use him again.

why did he fit a 4x2 on the right hand side in the from above pic on pg1?
if he put the frame to the joist it would have given enough room on the otherside for a full archtrave?
That's a very good point. No apparent reason at all!

Thanks for the replies all!

£40 materials, where's he shop, Homebase? Wonder what his markup is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back