Laminate worktop cut badly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am new to this forum so apologies if posting in the wrong place but am looking for some advice.

I am currently having a new kitchen fitted and the worktops have just gone on but the edges where they have been cut look badly done to me. Pictures attached.

Could I have some opinions/feedback please? Has the fitter done a bad job? Can it be improved with colorfill?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20190928_210622602.jpg
    IMG_20190928_210622602.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_20190928_210534372.jpg
    IMG_20190928_210534372.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 441
  • IMG_20190928_210702940.jpg
    IMG_20190928_210702940.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_20190928_210633670.jpg
    IMG_20190928_210633670.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 454
Sponsored Links
Poor cut, and no amount of any filler will improve it.

Did you actually see them cut it? What did they use?

No, I didn't unfortunately, I'm at work while it's being done. I'm going to approach the lead builder to hopefully find a solution. He hasn't seen the work yet either as was done end of last week.

Very average I'm afraid, and risking being rude here, they're not the finest worktop are they. Still no excuse for the amateurish fitting.

Sponsored Links
The worktops are Duropal which I'd been led to believe are at the higher end of quality for laminate worktops.

They (Duropal) most certainly are good quality worktops, but even so if they've been in storage for a long time (say a couple of years) then the laminate can become more brittle and chip more easily. However, chipping is most often caused by the fitter using saw blades or router cutters which are blunt, by the cutter/blade exiting the top wrongly (you should always start the cut into the post-formed face not exit through it, if that makes sense) and during the final trimming of the laminate end lipping - and there's simply no excuse for that. From the photographs you appear to have two distinct and separate faults - chipping and poor/careless filing back of the end lipping (that lomngish area at the top in particular). As others have said, no amount of Colorfill will correct faults as bad as those, but may still be possible to sort the situation out by removing the lipping, carefully retrimming the edge with a new router cutter to remove the chipped/damaged area (and in doing so cutting the worktop back by 1 to 2 mm in length) and then applying a fresh end lipping which will need to be filed back with greater care this time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back