cutting laminate worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I realize this has probably been covered before but what is correct way to cut way a laminate kitchen worktop with a track saw. do i cut front to back laminate side up?

Sponsored Links
Chipping is caused by the blade cutting laminate as it exits the board. Always think about the exit angle. You may find that a low hook tooth angle reduces chipping.

A score cut works well with most saws.

Whatever you do make sure the board is very well supported on both side of the cut so there is not bending / sagging when nearly though.

Ideally flip the worktop over and cut from the front edge to the back edge so that your blade is always entering the laminate "on the rising blade". The rolled edge on the front of the worktop means there is a small area of the worktop where the laminate isn't constrained by the anti-splinter strip on the guide rail, so chipping can sometimed occur at that point if cutting from the top surface

Score and a saw or rough cut with a saw away from the line and finish with a router.

Or if you are a desperate person with limited tools, cut with a Jack saw and finish with a nr 4 plane and sandpaper :whistle:

Sponsored Links
Lay worktop face side (i.e. Laminate side) Down on a sheet of 'soft' material - cheap MDF or a PIR insulation (if you some spare. The supporting sheet needs to support as much of the worktop as possible.
At one end lay track on worktop so the rubber strip is lave with end of worktop.
Put saw on track and then adjust the cutting depth s that the tip of lowest blade just and ONLY JUST's clears the face of the worktop. You need half the tip of the blade to remain in the worktop.
(N.B. if the saw tip does not stay in the worktop you have a great chance of chipping. If you cut with the track on the laminate side you will chip the laminate.)

Once you have that set make a test cut if possible As others have said from the front (laminated) edge to the back edge; check the laminate side for chips.

If that is OK the set the track up to the line you wish to cut at.

Always cut on the underside with a tracksaw or circular saw.

It's always best to finish the cut with a Router and cutter.

Thanks guys. I knew about cutting with laminate side face down but wasn't sure if it applied to track/plunge saw

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back