what type of circular saw blade?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm installing a wickes shaker kitchen soon and will need to cut some end panels and also a compressed laminate worktop.

what type of circular saw blade do i need for:

a) cutting end panels
b) cutting compressed laminate worktop - 12.5mm thick

I don't want any chips on the end panels

thanks

Sponsored Links
Okay thanks for the reply. Do you cut the full depth in one go or do two cuts at lesser depths?

Even with a 2000 watt 1/2in router a 38mm worktop requires 5 or 6 passes at increasing depths to get a good quality cut. A 1/4 router will require a lot more passes.

Remember that the router cutter must always enter the laminate at the front of the worktop (the post formed edge) to avoid chip out. The rule of thumb for routing is that the material is on the left, the cutter to the right of it, and you push the router away from your body.

This also means that if you are cutting a right hand end you work with the top of the worktop material uppermost.

When cutting a left hand end, on the other hand, you need to flip the worktop over (so the underside is uppermost) then end to end (so that what will become the left hand end is now to the right, face down with the post formed laminated edge at the front, facing you) before making the cut.

If using a 1/2in (12.7mm) diameter router cutter limit the width of the cut to about 3mm to avoid overloading the cutter. It may be better to cut the worktop slightly oversize (4 to 6mm over length) with a circular saw and a fine tooth blade, or even just a fine tooth handsaw before using the router - the circular saw needs to cut from the front to the rear with the worktop flipped over so the saw is running on the underside with the cut starting into the post formed edge. Hand saws are different. The hand saw is used from the rear to the front of the worktop, top surface uppermost, taking care to follow the edge round at the end of the cut (and making sure you support the offcut piece in all instances). This is to avoid chip out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
J&K - Thank you for the benefit of your experience. I knew that a router gives the best finish for the job that Marky requires. Just not that certain on the number of passes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back