cutting kitchen end panels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im about to cut my end panels for my cabinets and base units but was wondering what is best to use ie jigsaw or circular saw. I have tried a couple of cuts using jigsaw with the face down and although they are ok it seems that the blade on the jigsaw blunts really quickly and im on my third one already!
The blade i got was a Bosch blade which was for cutting chipborad and laminates. The end panels are in a red gloss.

Sponsored Links
thanks gregers but i dont think my hand would be as steady as yours ;)

so im thinking of something more mechanical :LOL:

You can cut them face down with a circular saw. Get a new blade for it with as many teeth per inch as you can get. Use a straight edge for the saw to follow. Set the depth of the saw to 5-8mm deeper than the end panel and take your time.

Sponsored Links
[/quote]You can cut them face down with a circular saw. Get a new blade for it with as many teeth per inch as you can get. Use a straight edge for the saw to follow. Set the depth of the saw to 5-8mm deeper than the end panel and take your time.
what would you advise to trim a couple of mill off any that are a bit long. Ihave tried using a power plane but it did splinter the edges a little.

As you found out a plane will mangle them, unless it has a super sharp blade and you use an end stop to prevent breakout.

A router is best but not in everyones shed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back