Cutting worktops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Simple question: which is the best way to cut laminate worktops: from the top, into the laminate surface or from underneath? I've bought a down cutting blade for my jigsaw, and the job is to cut out for a sink and to trim the worktops to length.

I've seen both methods recommended; maybe it depends on what kind of blade you use.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Ensure the teeth of the cutting blade are pointing down onto the laminate, which will minimise the flaking tendency.
Covering the cut with a layer of masking tape is a good move too, and helps with the marking out.
John :)

Thanks, John. :0)
I've just hiked three 3m lengths of worktop upstairs to store them before I start the job. Think I mght need a few days in traction.

The only problem I find with a jigsaw is that the bldae can tend to wander and not give a perfect straight cut. I always cut a few mm proud of the finish line and trim back with a router against a straightedge. Gives a perfect finish every time.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for that.

Unfortunately I don't possess a router, I don't know anyone who has one and its not worth me buying one just for this job.

I'll simply have to be extra careful with my jigsaw.

I just use the jigsaw for the curves and a hand saw or circular saw for the straight cuts.Even a top of the range jigsaw struggles to keep a blade square to timber.

dont forget to treat/cover the raw edges with silicone/varnish/glue etc stops it from wicking like a sponge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back