Opinions on new laptop please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're going to get my niece a new lappy for her Christmas and saw this one advertised in Currys on special. Just wondered if anyone could advise if it's a decent enough laptop. I read the reviews and in the main, they seem to be complaining about the sensitivity of the touchpad and Windows 8

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...1dz-15-6-laptop-white-10011505-pdt.html#cat-0

If that's not a great one, any suggestions of similar around the same price (£250)

Sponsored Links
Dunno about that lappy in particular but my daughters Toshiba (Win 7) is now about 2 years old (from Argos) and is still going strong.

Now dual boot with Ubuntu

Oh.. She HAS had numerous new psu bricks.

That looks fairly okay. Toshiba aren't too bad, and basic laptops are a lot better than they used to be.

Pop into a store and play with a few, a dodgy touchpad or badly spaced keyboard will shortly drive you nuts.

Oh.. She HAS had numerous new psu bricks.

People have a tendency to forget they exist and cause them to overheat.. They run so hot these days there isn't a lot of margin.

Cheers both. We'll go up to Curry's and have a look and a play about with one.

Sponsored Links
Any lappy for £250 is gonna have various foibles and niggles but I agree with Monkeh to pop along and try the keyboards out as some feel awful and some are slick

They will be using the same basic hardware, but their case design and case materials will differ.

Screen quality in regards to viewing angles may also differ, but don't expect much on any cheap laptop.

Thanks all. It seems decent for the price - we don't intend spending a fortune on it because she's not careful with things - she fried her first one, broke the hinges on the second, then fried that as well though I fixed it (with a lot of help from Monkeh :) )

The touchpad does seem a bit sensitive on it but then I don't like touchpads - I disabled my own and use a mouse. Keyboard seems to be OK but it's a bit weird as it's not the same as my own keyboard but I'm sure she'll adapt - I don't think she types "properly" anyway. Might take her up and see what she thinks - she doesn't believe in Santa anyway so we don't need to keep it a surprise LOL

Thanks all. It seems decent for the price - we don't intend spending a fortune on it because she's not careful with things - she fried her first one, broke the hinges on the second, then fried that as well though I fixed it (with a lot of help from Monkeh :) )
Bloody hell, I'd be getting some second hand crap off ebay for her after frying two lappys already!

The second one was a refurbished Dell. Grand wee laptop but the hard drive on it isn't big enough for her needs. She's been warned though - no more sitting it on the bed. She breaks this one, I'll break her!!

And a pencil. Give her a pen and she'll get ink over the bed!!

Sponsored Links
Back