Opinions on re-felting job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm interested in opinions on this re-felting job. It's a conservatory roof - the job was organised by my mum about a year ago - I only got up on the roof to have a look last week.
I'm no roofing expert but a number of things concern me:
This edge is a bit tricky - the roof goes down to a wooden side panel (now covered with felt and then joins an adjacent corrugated roof (actually an old coal shed). They've just laid the felt over as you can see. Looks a bit rough.
Here the felt's been laid over lead flashing where it meets the end wall and pitched roof.
This show where the flat roof meets the pitched tile roof. They only laid the felt up to the edge of the tiles. Would it be more usual to rip out the bottom row of tiles and lay it under them?
Finally they've used clouts to secure parts of the capping sheet. Is this right? I should add that this is extreme north Scotland so the weather is rather extreme. Even allowing for this, I thought the capping sheet was always just stuck down.
Even allowing for the fact it's a year old, the whole thing looks a bit rough. Anyway, all opinions gratefully received. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Others will comment on things they are more expert than me but the new felt should extend under the roof slates to give a minimum equivalent 150mm high upstand

Hmmm, seems shody. What would it have taken just to get a straight edge as-well. Takes an extra 5 mins if that. The main concern is the felt over the lead. It should definitely be under.

It needs ripping out and doing properly, no need for any clout nails, use torch on felt, and remove a couple of rows of tiles so the new felt goes under them.

Sponsored Links
You got Roy and Pete Roofing there - Diddakai Roy and P*key Pete :idea:

Thanks to everyone who commented on this. My mum also used this bloke for an outside painting job and it's actually pretty decent. But ironically he styles himself as a roofer.
I'll never understand cowboy builders' mentality. Does he really think he did a decent job on the roof? Or is this shoddy approach just a cynical attempt to maximise short term profit? I guess I just can't relate to the mindset that doesn't want to take pride in a skilled job, and build a firm with a worthwhile reputation. Takes all sorts...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back