Options to fix really bad woodchip walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at options to renovate a house where most of the walls are really bad. The plaster crumbles when you try to put nails in, and it's all been covered in woodchip wallpaper which has then been painted over several times.

I'd like to get it nice and smooth. New skirting boards, maybe some new power sockets and network points. Taking down the old stuff is going to create a huge amount of mess though, and probably very difficult. Are there any other options here?

I'd like to just over-board but I don't think it will take the weight. I'll pay someone to do the plastering/plasterboarding professionally.

Sponsored Links
I don’t think overboarding the woodchip walls as they are now is the right way to go.

If it was me, would get the wallpaper stripper going on the wood chip and then see what it’s like underneath.

You mention chasing for more sockets and network points. If it’s that crumbly a lot will come away as you do this. May make the decision for you.

Thanks. Will the wallpaper stripper work okay with a few layers of paint in the way?

Sponsored Links
Score through the paint with a Stanley knife, to allow the steam to penetrate to the paper.
I scrape the wall with a sharp scraper to knock the tops of the woodchip and expose the paper below to achieve the same thing, but with less risk of scoring through to the plaster.

I'm thinking it might be less hassle and mess to overboard with plasterboard screwed in to the brickwork.

Will that work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back