Orange soup

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just thought I'd share this in case anyone makes the same mistake...
In an attempt to shift a bit of tripe for Summer, I've taken to having a bowl of soup for dinner (with no bread). I never bother with breakfast so just a bowl of soup at about 200 calories rather than a couple of well stuffed sandwiches should save me a few hundred calories and help shift some tripe. (I'm not fat, just want to shift about 1/2 a stone).
Anyway, rather than just eating Heinz soup (which is very convenient) I've been making my own soup. Chicken is excellent and potato and leek is superb. Let's try cream of tomato I thought..... Searched the t'internet for a recipe and found one that recommended orange peel as an ingedient. So away I went, I roasted a big tray of tomatoes, added the rest of the ingredients and added the grated orange peel. I NOW HAVE 2.5 LITRES OF ORANGE SOUP!!!!!! For the love of God, don't put orange peel into soup - all you can taste is ORANGE. :evil:
Rant over, I feel cleansed now. ;) I can just imagine the comments tomorrow at work when the women come into the kitchen and sample the aroma and say "WTF is that?"
Incidently, if anyone has any good recipes for soups please feel free to post them here.
Cheers :D

Sponsored Links
send it to me, sounds nice, i have just been out to dinner and part of it was carrot and coriander soup.

My fave soup is one myself & Mrs Secure tried at a local farmhouse cafe.

Celery, apple & tomato.

Believe me, it's yummy.

Fry an onion (all my soups start this way), add a head of celery, chopped, one or two apples (depending on your taste & their size), two tins of toms or fresh if you like (but skin them first). Season as you like to. then simmer for 20.

It's much tastier the next day, after a night in the fridge, and if you like chilled soups, it's not bad that way either.

Sponsored Links
Haha nice one

Something else you might want to think about doing is having 6 small meals during the day, rather than just the normal 2 or 3 large meals, as it helps speed your metabolism up

I am very lucky and have a slim figure.
I used to exercise at least five times a week.. 60 min aerobic exercise plus every other day weights. (tom maintain muscle.. not competitive)

It used to amaze me the amount of women who went to circuits and weight classes, who never improved.

I ate what I wanted... plenty of fruit etc and lots of salmon,mackerel, olives, nuts,avocado, etc..

my mum and sis did weight watcher stuff and I never did.

never had to.

sorry... but caps lock important her!

NEVER HAD TO... UNTIL NOW!

oooo

waistband little tight.

doing weight watchers diet at moment.

I take back my flippant attitude to weight loss.
when I would eat a mars bar every day and cheese to my hearts content..... and every thing else I ate without any ... ANY... consideration to calories...I didnt care about overweight people.

I thought... no one forces the cake down your neck!!!

Now I feel different.

due to health, exercise was put on hold.. then when I was fine to start , I ran four miles three times a week. then nothing again.

I am very slender but I do need to tone up and lose another half stone.
weight watching pals get resentful of me and say things like...' you dont need to lose weight'! reality is, I do! not four stone granted but I am getting overweight and need to address it.

I look slim... but need to lose weight.
Borrowed my mums weight watchers books (excellent) and lost five pounds in week one.
second week, kept to diet bar three meals wher (over half term, we ate out with in laws but I allowed for that - honestlky, or what is the point???

second week, I had put on half a pound!!! lost nothing.... despite sticking to rules. (I had compansated points).

It is sickening.

my regular diet girls (this is so new to me) tell me, that if it is the week before your period, you can hold fluid! :eek:

anyway... I am starting exercising again, which is the answer for me I feel.

today did 8 mile (sounds good but was easy on flat.. keswick to threlkeld and back with kids.
lovely

gcol said:
Let's try cream of tomato

Probably best to leave the cream bit out. May I recommend lentil soup. Dead easy. Rinse lentils (red ones are good), pick out any stones then bring to simmer whilst skimming any scum. A tomato thrown in helps to tenderise. Simmer until tender and then (and only then) season with salt. (Pepper to taste). If you like, you can then throw in onions lightly fried in a little oil, and blend the lot. Lovely. And since you mention the word, tripe soup. The turkish caffs around North London do a fantastic one. Iskembe it's called. Delicious. (and low in fat)

mlb3c said:
btw.....how MUCH orange zest did you add? :LOL:
Just the zest from one orange - made 2.5 litres of tomato soup into orange soup! Maybe I used a bit too much zest - this was the recipe http://www.cooksrecipes.com/soup/fresh-tomato-soup-recipe.html

I'm 6'2" and 13 stone so not overweight as such - I've a slim build so 12.5 stone is ideal for me. The extra 0.5 stone is beer storage but I'd ike it gone for the hols. ;)

Thanks spark and kev, I'll have a bash at those recipes. :D When I mentioned tripe, I was refering to the tripe around my midrift and not tripe soup. ;) I couldn't bring myself to eat it. Never tried it, but the thought.....

Had a bowl of orange soup for my dinner - it was revolting and I felt quite sick by the end of it. Also I've been plagued with orange flavoured belches all afternoon. Nice. :(
The rest is going in the bin. :evil:

my missus sometimes makes a soup, she throws everything in the pot :) cerery, red peppers, kidney beans, chick peas in fact any veg you can think of

my late mum used to make a cracking chicken soup with all that was left the day before... giblets, parsons nose, the neck...... :D

Sponsored Links
Back