Origin and Schuco bifolds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of ordering a bifolding door system for my rear extension.

I decided it is important to go with something long lasting, well engineered that comes with good guarantees. There are a lot of good systems out there, I had concluded with Schuco.

This week however I also looked at Origin, another brand I had not considered much before.
I read a number of threads here, couldn't find anything going into Origin.

I find the overall finish and quality of the system almost equivalent to Schuco (correct me if wrong) and the price tag is a little less. Of course I cannot visually tell whether the thermal or glass seals or the powder coating are inferior etc, they do come with 20 year guarantee though which is impressive.

Can anyone recommend them, particularly if used for years with a positive experience?

The points I am considering,

Schuco: manufactured by various retails sourcing the materials, engineering quality and reputation, lead times 5-8 weeks, opening panel hooks with click hinge, 10 year guarantee

Origin: manufactured by one source, engineering quality seems very good, lead times 3 weeks, opening panel hooks with a manget, 20 year guarantee

They both have a nice satin default handle and lock, I also believe they both have finger safe seals between the panel.

I was quoted around £4+VAT for both systems (from different suppliers) for a ~4 meter opening.

Any feedback from fitters or home owners is more then welcome.

Sponsored Links
The only thing to add is the frame of Schuco is much thinner 120mm (60+60) when panels are closed together, as opposed to 150mm with Origin.

It seems that not many people here have used them...?

Never used schuco, have you looked at Reynaers?
Sightline is 131mm and would be cheaper.
All in the fitting

I decided to go for Origin. Slight correction, the sightline is around 140mm, I was looking at the profile of the first panel with the handle.

Lead time is very good and the guarantee of 10 years from the retailer is insurance backed for profiles, paint, glazing and mechanisms. Plus another 10 for profiles and mech from Origin.

This was the main deciding factor but the engineering is very robust. I received nearly identical quotations between the two systems with some exceptions.

Does anyone know if additional ventilation is required by regs for extension bifolds? I was told that trickle vents will be necessary by one seller, will have to check with BC.

Sponsored Links
I thought Origin was 25 yrs on the profile??
Trickle vents are needed on any new build unless you have some kind of ventilation system installed.
If there's a window in the same room as the bifold I'd opt for trickle vents in there instead.
Air flow is req per room

They provide 10 years on top of the retailer's 10 year guarantee.

The room is open plan with the existing lounge, which has an active chimney and windows that could be retrofitted with trickle vents if need be.

There will be a powerful extractor fan for cooking, I presume that does not count as continuous ventilation. I just want to make sure this is done before the doors arrive, as if possible to avoid the ugly trickles, I would rather have a concealed air-brick somewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back