OSB or chipboard for floating floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All

My first post on this brilliant forum so thanks in advance for any guidance.

I am rebuilding/converting my garage to a home office so trying to do my best with insulation, within budget and height constraints.

On top of the existing concrete slab I am planning to lay 25mm PIR insulation board (constrained by limited headroom) and then either 18mm OSB or 22mm chipboard (both options T&G). Floor finish will be 12mm laminate floor.

My question please:

In the interest of having a solid-feeling floor, is there a preference between OSB or P5 chipboard. My builder is keen to fix down some battens to the concrete floor so that that OSB/Chipboard can be fixed down to the battens to provide some rigidity - but I am concerned these battens will just become cold bridges.

Your thoughts greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Karl

Sponsored Links
How much lower is your current garage floor level than the rest of the house?

Garage is accessed from the garden with slab levels (before adding insulation etc) very similar between the two. Also, low ceiling height in garage. Hence 25-30mm is max amount of insulation.

I reckon 8 x 2ft P5 t&g chip would be a better solution providing everything is properly glued and the joints are pulled up once and tight

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your feedback. I had heard that chipboard tends to be squeakier than OSB - any thoughts on that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back