Out building concrete floor slab questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm planning on laying a floor slab for a wooden out building/workshop, want it to be warm. The process I've read about thus far is (feel free to alter in replies!!):

a) 4" layer of hardcore. Compacted

1) I got access to a wacker so compacting shouldn't be a problem. Do I simply add more hardcore in softer pockets or stick to 4" before compacting?

2) I live close to a quarry, can I use small stones from here or should I look for an MOT product from a builders merchant?

3) Does it have to be level after compacting? or I thought the sand was for this + protection for DPM.

b) Sand fill ready for DPM

1) What type of sand? Went to Wickes and theres a few to choose from.

2). Does the sand layer have to be a minimum thickness or simply just fill in gaps in hardcore before DPM?

c) Damp proof layer.

1) It comes in set widths, how much do I over lay each other to make the area I need? (I guess you need to know product I looked at?)

d) Insulation layer, going for kingspan thermafloor TF70

1) Asked supplier, told them about project, they suggested 50mm

2) TF70 can be layed below slab or below screed, what criteria should I use to select? I was gonna go for below slab since I've got some machiney that's heavy.

e) Concrete slab mix

1) Looking at C20 mix. Approximate base area is 23.5m2. Given I'm opting for 2" screed, how thick should this be? googled at about 4"?

2) The place is 200ft from house and I can't get a Readymix truck down past house. They said they'd be happy to wait for 30-35mins max. without extra payment. What are my options? Change mix and pump? Mix myself from bags?

3) If I bag mix myself, I can probably only do the slab in sections. Is this gonna be a problem? (i.e. squares of x * y) due to time it takes to mix and spread.

f) Screed approx 2" thick

1) Use of chicken wire over the 2" to stop cracking. How deep should the wire be from surface? 5mm ok?

2) I was hoping to tile over the top for final floor of building so finish isn't that import. I thought that if I was to mix the slab by hand I couldn't get it that level when done in sections but I maybe able to mix enough for the screed layer without to much trouble or even get it delivered. What mix would you use?

Lastly, how much should the complete base protrude the ground? I looked at my mates 30year old garage and its like 4" above so I assume all of my heights determine dept of base to bottom of hardcore?

thanks in advance :confused:

Sponsored Links
So thats about 2.5m3 of concrete.
You could hire a power barrow, this will probably enable you to shift the whole lot in half an hour.
I don't know about the rest, but it all seems ok to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back