Outbuilding insulation - breather membrane?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have posted on here about this project before and got some good advice. Now just need to check something.

I am insulating a garden building, for all year round use as a studio.

Currently the walls comprise (from outside in) - T&G timber cladding, a black membrane, some thin polystyrene sheets, plasterboard. The wall is a timber stud wall.

I am making the assumption that the polystyrene sheets do not offer much insulation, so...

My intention (having taken quite a bit of advice from here) is to remove the plasterboard and the polystyrene, and put in Kingspan (or similar) insulation boards (between and over the timber frame), then a vapour barrier, before re-plasterboarding.

What I want to know is - the black membrane that is already there, on the inside of the T&G cladding - is it likely to be a breather membrane? It's quite stiff, a little bit like roofing felt but not that stiff, possibly a kind of fabric (with possibly a bitumen type coating?)

I am attaching some photos, where I have knocked through the plasterboard and broken off a bit of polystyrene, to reveal the membrane in question.

If it is breathable, then I think I can fill the depth of the studs with insulation, with no need for an air gap on the inside of the membrane & timber cladding, as air will be able to pass through both membrane & cladding ?

If not breathable, then I guess I need to leave a 50mm air gap behind insulation. Which would be a pain, and possibly make it not worth doing as having to leave an air gap will leave me little room for the thickness of insulation boards that I need.

So the question is - is that black membrane breathable?

The building was constructed at least 17 years ago, if that helps...

Thanks.

wall construction 1.jpg wall construction 2.jpg wall construction 3.jpg
wall construction 1.jpg
wall construction 2.jpg
wall construction 3.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back