Outdoor paint washing off decorative pillar in the rain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our new house has a portico with a line of pillars. I think these are made of some kind of reconstituted stone. They are quite exposed to the rain which can be driven against them by the wind.

The paint on the base of central pillar has been running off (see pics) and is now nearly bare stone. There seems to be a puddle of water that forms around the base after the rain which stays for several days.

Is this due to improper priming? If so could someone recommend a good primer for this material before I put on more weathershield.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Interesting, never seen that before. My thoughts are an adhesion problem or a chalking self cleaning masonary paint was used and has just completely chalked away.
Normally we just thin down the masonary paint to prime followed by a couple of top coats. Bedec barn paint could be a good option here as we are not sure of the base material, be interested to hear other peoples thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks for the replies. I'm going to try 2 coats of Johnstone's Stormshield Pliolite with no primer, unless anyone thinks this is a bad idea.

Do you know what I think has happened? Someone bought your tin of weathershield, used it up, then filled the tin with cheapo emulsion and then took it back and got a refund. It happens all the time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back