Wrinkled paint on sash windows - what's wrong?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I have recently re-painted my original sash windows on a 1900's house. I sanded the paint back, removing all loose paint. I primed the bare wood with water-based primer and used an oil based, undercoat. I then put on an ob top coat of dulux weathershield. However the paint has wrinkled (see photo) in many places and it is still wet and gooey under the paint in these sections.

I know that the undercoats were dry as they were left for 24 hours minimum in good drying conditions. When I did the top coat it was a fairly moist, yet warm day, but did not rain when applying the paint. It may possibly have rained a little overnight.

I have now scraped off the paint and have sanded the windows ready to try again. However I don't want the same thing to happen again. I have painted hundreds of times and have never experienced this. I therefore wondered what people think has gone wrong, so I can make sure it works next time.

Thanks for your time, all suggestions appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It looks like the oil undercoat has not been given enough time to dry and then the top coat was applied too soon. Especially a problem in cold weather and also with 2010 compliant paints which now dry a lot slower. Try rubbing down and undercoating in temp over 10 degrees pref 15 degrees C. Then paint over at least 18 hours after or longer to make sure.www.**********.co.uk can give you exact advice so call him and he will find out what went wrong and solve the problem for good if there are any variables- he is just happy to help and a proud craftsman with lots of knowledge so call him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back