Painting new sash windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About to start painting some new (softwood) sash windows and frames in my house.

Could someone help me with recommended paints etc.

I'm thinking:
One coat of primer to all.
One coat of undercoat to all.
One coat of eggshell to interior
One coat of gloss to exterior.

But please tell me there's an easier way.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Thats what i would do but i use 2 coats of undercoat on new window. dont forget to knot the knots in the wood. carl.

If its brand new wood why not try the Dulux weathershield system, very good. And they only guarentee it when you use the system from on raw wood. Suposed to be 7 yrs. as above two undercoats and i would do two coats of eggshell for best finish.

I've just had new wooden frame windows fitted in existing bay. Mixture of original wood and new. The window fitters stripped back to bare wood and then left them in dulux trade quick dry primer. I am intending to use weathershield - am I ok going straight onto the quick dry primer with weathershield undercoat? I do have some of the blue weathershield primer but not sure that is going to work going on top of the other primer.

Sponsored Links
Yeh waste of time using that primer over existing stuff

Id go for one undercoat and two coats of gloss...gloss is more flexible than undercoat and eggshell and two coats will gve you a brighter smoother finish

Water based gloss is quite good too, once you get used to the different application techniques.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back