New Wooden Sash window paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just finished making my first sash windows and I need to get them painted, at least primer and undercoat, so the builder can install them. The they are from meranti and currently just sanded smooth.

I've had a bit of read around and people seem to really rate the zinsser range but I'm not sure exactly which to go for as Bulls Eye 123 (Plus) and BIN all seem to be good for the job. I've not even started to look for a top coat yet.

Any recommendations on paint types and or the best ways to finish my windows would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Meranti is a hardwood and normally with hardwood you should use an aluminium wood primer but as meranti isn't resinous it should be ok to use the Zinsser 123. I wouldn't use the Zinssser BIN to prime anything exterior because it is brittle. As for the undercoat and gloss, Johnstones weatherguard undercoat and gloss is very good and a reasonable price. I've used this many times including on my own property and it lasts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back