outdoor wiring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im am currently installing a pump for a water feature and also so low voltage lighting in the garden, i have run a length of 2.5mm swa from DB to a MK 2 gang water proof switch on the outside wall at the back of the house, i plan to run some 1.5mm flex from this switch to the lights and pump all the flex will be under decking i am putting down.
Is it exeptable to just run flex under the decking or does it need to be swa?

thanks

Nick

Sponsored Links
the cable should be protected, from direct sunlight, rodents and plant growth, it should also be permanently fixed in a protected location.
If your not making this run in SWA, the use of duct or conduit would be recommend.
When you say low voltage, I assume you mean Extra Low Voltage?
Also gardens are considered special locations and come under notifiable work as far as building regulations are concerned.

the feed will come from the main DB and will be rcd protected and run in 2.5 swa, i will also earth the armour at the DB end. The load then running to the pump i want to run in 1.5 flex and from what your saying i will put it in conduit. the lights are mains fed to transformer which is IP68 rated and this will take voltage down to 12v. When you say the cable under the decking needs to be fixed are you saying i will need to fix the conduit to the decking?

thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back