Outhouse and garden sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so what the main goal is to get a double socket and a fused spur for some deck lights in the garden.

What I currently have is an outhouse/conservatory which has one double socket which comes straight from the db but it is not a circuit.

There is a single socket in the house ring in the wall that backs on to the outhouse.

Ideally I would like to take the cable from the single socket which is part of the house ring main as it is an easier route around the side of the outhouse. However I'm guessing it would be better to take from the double socket.

So what I'm asking, is there any way I can spur of this single socket and have a 2g external and spur for the lights?

Sponsored Links
What I currently have is an outhouse/conservatory which has one double socket which comes straight from the db but it is not a circuit.
What is it then?

There is a single socket in the house ring in the wall that backs on to the outhouse. Ideally I would like to take the cable from the single socket which is part of the house ring main as it is an easier route around the side of the outhouse. However I'm guessing it would be better to take from the double socket.
Having external equipment loaded to the main house electrics could cause power loss in the house if there was ever a faulty that came from outside, such as water ingress.

So what I'm asking, is there any way I can spur of this single socket and have a 2g external and spur for the lights?
Yes there is but you must consider a number of things.
*If the circuit you are spurring from is suitable and the socket you are spurring from if a ring final circuit, is part of the complete ring and not a spur in it own right, as you cannot spur from an unfused spur on a ring final circuit.
*The method of in which the external cable is routed and protected and the selection of cable you are going to use. The cable will likely require burying in the ground if the outhouse is detached from the property.
*Also the requirement for RCD protection will to be complied to
*Then there is also the way you intend to prove that this work has been done in compliance to BS7671 (wiring regs) and all other related building regulations. Its is a legal requirement to prove your work is safe.

This document applies to work in England ans Wales
//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:part_p:Statutory-Instrument

Thanks for reply.

There is just one cable coming from the db straight to the socket and that's it...

The single socket on the house circuit is definitely not a spur and is part of the circuit.

The outhouse is attached to the house and I would use swa to run down the side and in to the external socket.

Sponsored Links
Many many questions

That double socket that comes
from the db
. How many amps is the MCB protecting that?
Is is RCD protected? Or is it an RCBO?

This single socket. It is part of the ring, you say. How do you know that?
Is that socket RCD protected??
How would you go about terminating the armoured cable to this (or the double) socket.?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back