Outside drain smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My external drain has developed a bit of a stink, it can only be smelt when outside and close to the drain (which is where the kitchen waste water goes from a pipe into a grate - but it's not sealed so it's an open ended pipe into a grated drain) - but it's noticeable enough today (wet weather, mild temps) so I am a bit concerned about it ramping up in the summer.

Inside the house nothing is wrong, no smells, everything drains, etc. but I'd like to address this before it develops any further.

A lot of online advice seems to be around using vinegar and baking soda and boiling water, is this the best way or is there an off-the-shelf product that'll deliver a higher quality 'clean'

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
There are chemical cleaners, but personally I just use soda crystals sluiced with boiling water, sometimes use vinegar sometimes add lemon.

Sponsored Links
250g of caustic soda crystals into 3 litres of cold water. Mix gently to avoid splashes. It will fizz and heat up so once mixed pour carefully down drain and leave alone for at least half an hour.
Don't breathe in the fumes, splash it on yourself/clothes and wear eye protection, (safety goggles or visor plus rubber gloves). Rinse bucket out thoroughly after use and pour down drain.
After all this is done flush the drain through from the kitchen sink with cold water for 10 minutes. Then use a plunger on the outside drain to force through any residual waste matter, (such as food etc), out past the water seal underground. To prevent future smells, remove all food waste from plates, pans etc before washing. If you have a dishwasher/waste disposal unit, it is a good idea to give these a clean through at the same time using recommended cleaning products. Do not use caustic soda in these appliances.

Particularly if the waste pipe terminated above the grid

Thanks all - some good sounding options, as for what’s causing the smell I’d imagine that it’s decaying food bits? Even though we have traps to catch this in the sink I suppose it’s possible bits could have got through.

Like the idea of having to wear safety Google’s to pour stuff down the drain, the village curtain twitchers would go crazy…

Thanks all - some good sounding options, as for what’s causing the smell I’d imagine that it’s decaying food bits? Even though we have traps to catch this in the sink I suppose it’s possible bits could have got through.

Like the idea of having to wear safety Google’s to pour stuff down the drain, the village curtain twitchers would go crazy…

First thing to do is get some proper gauntlet gloves and get your arm down there to clear out any solids that haven't gone away... Chances are you'll pull out a lot of black sludge that stinks to high heaven. Then give your internal traps a good mechanical clean, by removing them... Not with all manner of chemicals. And for good measure, once a week, fill your "empty" sinks and basins with very hot water and let the plug go... Keeps your waste pipes nicely flushed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back