Outside infra red light....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few questions about a security light (infra red, led type).

By reading part p, It looks to me that security lights (if fixed to the outside wall of the property) are not notifiable work, so can be done by myself, is that correct?

Second, the light is 12V to 15v, and I would like to take a cable from a boxed 13.8v psu (metal box, with transformer, and circuit for voltage regulation, fused both input side and output side, with battery backup etc) out of the window frame and into the light box that contains the sensor/relay to switch on the light at night.

There is a socket near the wall, which I can plug it into, with a normal mains plug... but its in the kitchen.....

As its plugged in, and not a permanent circuit (I can unplug it anytime, and move the psu to somewhere else anytime needed), and the output is low voltage, is there any notifiable work involved in the kitchen area?
(Seems odd if there is, as you could plug in a radio/portable tv or extension socket into that socket, in fact surely a PSU outputing a wire containing 12v is safer than the 240 a extension socket would carry??), and there is no water going to get splashed on the psu, as its not next to the sink....

Or would I have to route the 12v out through another wall (I really want to keep the route short as possible, due to voltage drop to the lamp)

Current is about 3.5amps (at around 12v), worst case fault the unit is fused on its output at 4 amps so it would blow if the cable was shorted...

I could use outdoor mains cable for the 12v going through the window, as I already have some, and its going to handle the 12v load with ease....

So, would the kitchen part be a Part P problem? what do you think?

Low voltage electrics I feel more than capable of doing, as I have done lots over the years, but part p is new to me.....

Sponsored Links
You can plug in what you like. Don't worry about notification. The socket is already there. You're not using mains voltage. No problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back