Outside Main Stop Tap - Lowering & Full Of Water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a couple of issues with my outside stop tap. It is on my driveway and in the way of where the car needs to go. It is quite high, so needs lowering to ground height. The top of it is about 4 inches from the ground. The house was built in the 50's, it is a cast iron hinged lid type, approx. 4-5 inches square, and if you look inside there is a clay pipe (I think) which goes about 2 feet down, maybe more. There is a T shaped handle attached. I cannot see what it is attached to as for some reason the chamber is half full of water. I did manage to empty it but I still couldn't see how the handle attached as it was obscured by gunge and mud that I couldn't get at.

My questions are -

The cover/lid is set in a block of concrete, giving it this extra height. I can chip and break that away and lower the cover into the ground, but the handle is still too high for that. Does this handle simply pull off? As I can't see how it connects I don't want to try in case I can't get it back on.

How would this handle attach?

Should the chamber be full of water?

Thank you, any help appreciated before I aimlessly blunder on.

Sponsored Links
The 'T' handle is probably the crutch head and will probably not come of.
354.jpg

You'd normally use one of these to operate it if the chamber was deep.
4276763_0280_0260.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I've delved futher into it, and like you say, it has a tap at the bottom with a long T handle attached. This handle slides on, it doesn't pull off, it slides. I need to shorten this, so I think I shall cut it, then weld it back together, shorter. Hopefully then I can lower the cover/lid.

Sponsored Links
See my first post, the handle sticks up, higher than the driveway.

As above, you do realise that this is your MAIN stopcock, and taking it off/cutting etc will cause a MAJOR water leak for which you will be liable for the repair?

I'm not even sure if legally you are allowed to alter that equipment though I guess the WB may have a way of cutting you off upstream of it. Why not post some photos so people can see the real problem and come up with a realistic solution?

I think you might be misunderstanding a little. It is only the long T handle which I am cutting down. Once the cover/lid has been lowered a few inches (so it doesn't stick up above the driveway, the T handle (is it called a Toby?) needs to be lower also. The previous owner raised the cover (set in concrete) so it was higher than the soil it was in. Now it is a gravel drive and it sticks up by a few inches. I am not altering the stop tap, mains supply, or the chamber.

If you have something like this in the loft you may be able to pump the water out with it to make it easier to see.

mvgGWx8H03tOXTOGgTwWjlg.jpg

Hahahaha!

That's not a stop cock it's a fire hydrant for the use of the fire brigade.

As mc hammer said 'you can't touch this'

Andy

is this T handle made of plastic?

is there also a stopcock in the pavement?

have you got a water meter?

post some pics //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129539[/QUOTE]

No, the T handle is metal, possibly iron? That's why I thought to cut it, then weld it with an overlap, i.e. shorter.
I am not aware of a stop cock in the pavement, just the one in my driveway.
I have no water meter, no.

I wash the mud out of mine by putting a powerful squirty hose in and letting it overflow, then bale out the water with a ladle. It is not as deep as yours.

I used an old cup taped to a long wooden cane, then, as the water level became shallow, an egg cup taped to a cane!

That's not a stop cock it's a fire hydrant for the use of the fire brigade.

I know what my two are. I was showing how clean I got them. If I ever have a fire I don't want the firemen delayed while they shovel mud and stones out of the pit.

The smaller one is the stopcock for the house.

I have also got a standpipe and a key.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back