Oven element flag terminals replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

oven stopped working, grill and fan etc. OK so I bought a new element as this has happened before and its an easy replacement. This time though, the two terminals for the element were both charred and the hard plastic covers had melted away. The flag connectors really need replacing and looking on line I can see I can get them with insulation on but there are red and blue ones which have different tolerances. What do I need to be looking for when replacing these flag terminals ? I know I will need a specific crimper.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You need to work out what size the cabling is, it might say it in sq mm or SWG/AWG on the insualtion. The red ones are generally thought of as being for 1-1.5mm² and the blues 2.5mm² . But if dealing with cables marked with guages, I'm not 100% sure of what the actual ranges are. The spades also come in differnt sizes, 6.3mm I think is the standard, however narrower also exist.

You need to work out what size the cabling is, it might say it in sq mm or SWG/AWG on the insualtion. The red ones are generally thought of as being for 1-1.5mm² and the blues 2.5mm² . But if dealing with cables marked with guages, I'm not 100% sure of what the actual ranges are. The spades also come in differnt sizes, 6.3mm I think is the standard, however narrower also exist.
I don't think the usual yellow, blue and red crimped connectors would be suitable; they are rubbish even for normal household wiring.

oven stopped working, grill and fan etc. OK so I bought a new element as this has happened before and its an easy replacement. This time though, the two terminals for the element were both charred and the hard plastic covers had melted away. The flag connectors really need replacing and looking on line I can see I can get them with insulation on but there are red and blue ones which have different tolerances. What do I need to be looking for when replacing these flag terminals ? I know I will need a specific crimper.
I can't find what you refer to. Have you a link?

What sort of 'tolerances' are quoted? Do you need insulated ones?

Surely you just need high temperature ones. Just the first on Google:

I don't think the usual yellow, blue and red crimped connectors would be suitable; they are rubbish even for normal household wiring.

I can't find what you refer to. Have you a link?

What sort of 'tolerances' are quoted? Do you need insulated ones?

Surely you just need high temperature ones. Just the first on Google:
You say you can't find what I refer to but prior to that you obviously do know what I am referring to as you discuss the different colours?

Anyway, I'm surprised you couldn't find them, these are the first I found when I did a Google search and just an example.

You say surely I just need high temperature ones. If I knew I wouldn't be asking. Every other terminal in the wiring loom has a cover which I assumed was there for a reason, as did the ones I need to replace so I assumed I should replace like for like. You suggest that using high temperature terminals negates the need for insulation or protection of the terminals?

Unfortunately the ones you link to are not available but I get the picture.

Sponsored Links
You say you can't find what I refer to but prior to that you obviously do know what I am referring to as you discuss the different colours?
Well, yes but as I said the usual yellow, red and blue (denoting size) insulated spade connectors are rubbish for ordinary electrical wiring - let alone in an oven.

Anyway, I'm surprised you couldn't find them, these are the first I found when I did a Google search and just an example
That didn't come up when I searched for oven connectors and appears to be American.

I still don't know what you meant by tolerances.

Perhaps you would be better asking in the 'Appliances' forum.

You say surely I just need high temperature ones. If I knew I wouldn't be asking.
Ovens get hot.

Every other terminal in the wiring loom has a cover which I assumed was there for a reason, as did the ones I need to replace so I assumed I should replace like for like. You suggest that using high temperature terminals negates the need for insulation or protection of the terminals?
I didn't say the temperature negates the need; I just asked if insulated was necessary because the one I found was uninsulated.

Unfortunately the ones you link to are not available but I get the picture.
Search for similar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back