Oven issue - Rangemaster Professional 90 Dual Fuel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 14 year old Rangemaster Professional 90 Dual Fuel, it came with the property when I bought it - since yesterday the main oven has developed a very unpleasant, almost "chemical" smell when switched on.

My wife said that yesterday when she switched it on the fan wouldn't spin, and on trying it today I found the same but after switching it off and on a couple of times the fan spun up.

Hard to say if it's the fan causing the smell. To me the smell is like very hot enamel paint. Well, kind of, hard to describe it. It's pretty pungent though.

The smaller side oven works just fine, no smell.

Is replacing the fan the best option, or is there a more likely cause of the smell?

I can't seem to find a comprehensive service manual online and have no idea if the fan can be removed without breaking my back pulling the oven out from the wall. I can see some screws on the inside of the back panel but am not sure which ones hold the fan in place and which ones hold the panel in place (if any) and am wary of removing any in case the fan drops off, leaving me with no choice but to pull out the whole oven.

Can't seem to find much about it online other than some "top half only" photos on this old Ebay auction:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rangemaster-Professional-90-Stainlesss-Steel-90-cm-Dual-Fuel-Kitchen-Range-/222257138874?nma=true&si=rlCMZ841uKaTkJiLnv2qogSOWy4%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
IIRC some (maybe all?) of these fans have the heating element built in/around the fan's circumference. Perhaps if your fan isn't working the element is overheating something around it, causing the smell. The fan will unscrew fairly easily if you gain access to the screws. It will probably be held by screws near the fan, not at the external corners of the back oven panel. Have a look at an appliance spares website and see if you can get an idea of what a new fan looks like.
We have a similar range (an 1100mm Stoves) from a similar era and it simply pulls forward from the wall without much effort BTW.

Thanks, I'll do as you suggest. :)

Edit: a thought, but might the element be damaged if it's overheated?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I don't think the element could be damaged, it either heats up or it doesn't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back