Over height vehicle detection.

I may have solution, a battery powered TX which is claimed to have a year battery life ( D cells ) and will detect a 100 milli-second beam break.

The angled beam to a passive reflector would work and would be easier to install but the price for a reliable 18 metre reflective sysem is getting beyond the sensible budget.

CCTV or ANPR or a stills camera are in the frame.

A passive sign "ROOF" similar to a car number plate fitted to the wall and projecting out under the thatch has already detered one driver from risking a right turn and taking the left turn instead.

Sponsored Links
A passive sign "ROOF" similar to a car number plate fitted to the wall and projecting out under the thatch has already detered one driver from risking a right turn and taking the left turn instead.
Another idea ...

What if you had a sign, and extend it with some rods if thought necessary, which is flexible so will "give" if hit by a vehicle. Mount it so that if a vehicle catches it, it triggers a switch which can bring on warning signs etc. I'n guessing that vehicles will normally be going quite slowly as it's a tight turn even without the overhang - so if the arms ar long enough then there could be enough warning for the vehicle to stop. I know that if I was negotiating a tight turn, and suddenly some very bright strobes fired up accompanied by alarms - I'd be "quite likely" to stand on the brakes.

Perhaps in combination with the beam detector.

if a vehicle catches it, it triggers a switch which can bring on warning signs etc.
The close proximity to the underside of a thatched roof means electrics have to be intrinsically safe. Any sparks from damaged electrics could set the thatch on fire. The underside is tinder dry.

Simon said:
I'n guessing that vehicles will normally be going quite slowly as it's a tight turn.
Bad guess, some of smaller but still over size vehicles swing round the corner quite fast. [/quote]

Bernard, do you really mean "Intrinsically Safe" - the full ExII and all that? If so, surely a vehicle shouldn't be let anywhere near your thatch. Neither should smokers, CB radios, Tetra sets, mobile phones or anything with any kind of battery, inductor, capacitor or any other energy storage device. This sounds like someone is taking the p155... Surely SELV stuff is fine as would be resistive loads, microswitches on SimonH2's fibreglass rod cat's whiskers, LEDs, photocells, CCTV cameras, etc., etc..

You need to get the insurance company's definition of "Intrinsically Safe" before you shoot down every electrical/electronic suggestion... There must be a category or energy storage capacity and a zone or distance from the thatch. If this wasn't the case, you couldn't use a CRT telly in the bedroom! :rolleyes:

You can always use MTL barriers to make things IS if you have to.

Sponsored Links
Maybe my use of the term instrinsically safe as the criteria was a bit extreme. A lot of care is needed.

If this wasn't the case, you couldn't use a CRT telly in the bedroom! icon_rolleyes.gif
Provided the ceiling is "fire proof" and the under side of the thatch is totally sealed from the room it is OK.

The two major causes of fires in thatch are [1] defective chimneys allowing hot combustion products into the loft space and [2] electrical faults in poorly installed electrical equiment. The insurance company follows the advice of the thatching industry as to how to protect thatched roofs.

An incandescent lamp is "safe" until it is shattered while lit. A 40 watt incandescent lamp half a metre from the thatch would be safe provided no debris fell onto the lamp. The hazard is that the lamp is shattered exposing the filament to oxygen and the subsequent flare of the vapourising metal filament. Energy saving lamps with inflamable electronic components are a hazard any time they are powered.

The risks are very small but the consequences very serious.[/quote]

IMO any warning sounders etc will be too late - the vehicle will have hit & be gone by then.

Your best bet is the bollard route - prevent them hitting it in the first place.

IMO any warning sounders etc will be too late - the vehicle will have hit & be gone by then.
Detection will be about 30 metres before. CCTV or other photographic recording is an option

Your best bet is the bollard route - prevent them hitting it in the first place.
Placing them to be effective against vehicles without forcing pedestrians, prams and wheel chairs onto the road is proving difficult due to very narrow pavements.

move house
Too easy
But seriously it is ideal in so many ways, almost all the shops I need are within 100 yards. Got it for a low price as it needed a lot of improvements and it is the place I want to end up in when I admit to being too old for DIY.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back