Overboarding ceilings ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I want to get a few ceilings boarded and skimmed (old L&P).
To save some cash and get things moving I'm thinking about boarding the ceilings (x4) and a stud wall myself. I'd just get a plasterer in to tape and skim.
Would this put a plasterer off taking on the job? Would they prefer to board as well?
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Its ok doing it yourself if the plasterer can come in and just do what he has to do. When people ask me to to follow them after they have done what you say I usually say no! I would rather do it myself and know its right than follow someones work and have to put things right before I start. Just my opinion but be interesting to see what the lads say...

I've had loads of skimming done in my house, and have always done the boarding myself, without any problems. As long as you know what you're doing. If you make a mess of it and the plasterer has to sort it out, you're not saving the money you thought you were. Having said that it's not difficult.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
Cheers,
My understanding is if you use the right thickness, ensure its cut to the right size and fits nicely and use the right drywall screws you cant go too far wrong.

Yea pretty much Also making sure all the board is screwed to joists and not flapping at one end. And not to gappy around ceiling lines and joins etc. Good luck :)

I boarded my entire house as part of a renovation. I ripped all the old lath and plastered ceilings out and then re boarded them.

I tell you what though, I over boarded one bedroom as I was totally fed up with the mess and it's bang on. Wish I'd done the rest.

Just mark out where the rafters/joists are so that you don't keep missing them. And put another 10mm on the length of your drywall screws. Sure I used 60mm or something

That's the way matey (y) bang a few holes at one end of the ceiling to find all the joists and bang holes the opposite end and ping a string line all the way across so you no where to fire your screws in. It's much easier and less mess but pulling them down is the best way

Rochester,

Sorry to high jack thread slightly. But in the loft I only have smaller rafters as apposed to thicker joists.

When I go up there it feels much sturdier above the over boarded ceiling. I can only assume removing the L&P has taken a little stability out !?

Do you mean when you knock your knuckles on the board it sounds more hollow compared to over boarding ? Over boarding l&p ceilings is ok if you just have 1 or 2 to do but if your doing a complete refurb they should all be ripped out and denailed. Fresh start with no worries. Also easier for the poor sod who's got to refurb it in 50 years lol

I don't want take them all down really. No others have been overboarded so might just them all, apart from the kitchen which Ill take down. Problem now is finding a plasterer, all seem busy ATM :(

Surrey.
Trades seem very busy down here.
Been ok though as I've ended up doing a lots of things myself and saved quite a bit of cash.
Plastering is a different animal though...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back