Overdoing subfloor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im installing 20mm oak tng flooring with underlay. secured with tite screws.

the existing subfloor is 20mm victorian pine boards in pretty good nick and fairly level.

rather than spend the money on new ply, im going to use the existing floorboards and sand them.

they run perpendicular to joists. as will the new boards i lay on top

so should i lift old boards and relay at 45 degrees to joists so that there is some offset between them and the new boards above?

or is that overkill?

many thanks and apols if this has already been covered.

Sponsored Links
What a complete waste of effort. You'll probably struggle to lift all the old boards without breaking at least some and if you are changing orientation that way the sub-floor will become a lot bouncier (because your joist centres are effectively secured at 1.4 times the distance, assuming a 45° angle). You'll also need more timber to accommodate the change in orientation, mitre cuts, etc. As a joiner to my mind that is a complete non-starter. The way to do this is not to waste time, effort and money attempting to re-invent the wheel - it's to do it the established way and overboard with plywood screwed or nailed at 150mm centres

Why not sand the floorboards, then oil them? Less expensive and it won't look fake for the house.

Sponsored Links
thanks both

existing boards arent up to a refinish. I'll use them as a subfloor with a lot of new screws and try to keep it authentic with the new boards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back