Overflow leaking dispite changing the piston - SOLVED D'oh!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Changed the piston in the header tank at home a few weeks back as the overflow was leaking, but it's started leaking again. Assuming that the piston and washer haven't failed in six weeks, any thoughts on what else might be causing it, or what to check when I get home. Isn't there only one inlet to the header tank? Other half had taken a shower when it started if that helps at all, and the system is a standard potterton profile e50 bolier.

Ta muchly.

Sponsored Links
Do you mean the feed and expansion cistern for the central heating?

Do you have an indirect hot water cylinder?

Maybe the coil has a hole in it and is allowing secondary water in to the primary and then overflowing the system?

Sponsored Links
When you changed the piston you did, of course, change the nozzle as well didn't you? ;)

The end of the nozzle can become pitted and prevent a positive shut off of the valve.

hi-spec plumbing heating said:
if thats what you call info.

get abit fed up playing guessing games, what tank, what type of shower etc :confused:

Yep! :rolleyes:

So rjm67 tell us exactly what you are talking about. ;)

Can I claim plonker of the year award please? (Being polite here)

The reason was..... (drum roll here) I forgot to splay the split pin when I put the new piston in and it had simply fallen out, letting float arm escape and water run free (except it isn't). I feel such a fool, for so many reasons. :oops: Don't hate me please :)

Apologies also to those of you who pointed out that I didn't provide enough information. It's becoming obvious to me that it's not quite as simple to explain things as I thought. Still, guess we all have to learn somehow. Never too old to be a fool.

Thanks to those who made comments, helpful or otherwise. I will endevour to provide more information in future. My only excuse was that I had had a really bad day, and this seemed like the final straw.

R. Plonker of the Year 2007 (so far)

rjm67 said:
Can I claim plonker of the year award please? (Being polite here)
Not really, but your first mistake was to attempt to service the valve, instead of just replacing it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back