Overflow problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My elderly neighbour asked if I could have a look to see why her overflow was running. I went into the loft and discovered a large cylinder with Gledhill written on the side. The top of the cylinder has two seperate sections each with it's own ball-c**k. These were fine. The problem was being caused by very hot water being pumped into one of the sections thereby causing it to overflow. Any suggestions as to what may be causing this. Is there a quick fix or does it need further investigation by a qualified person. She had tried to ring a guy she has used in the past but he wasn't answering the phone. Heating is via a back boiler. Any ideas much appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sounds as though it is a combination tank.

Does the property have central heating?

Is there an electric immersion heater in the cylinder?

If so probably one of the cisterns with a float operated valve feeds the heating (Heating F&E cistern) and the other feeds the hot water cylinder and possibly also the cold water tap outlets.

If there is no heating, one cistern will feed the cylinder and the other the cold water outlets.

You say the very hot water is being pumped into one of the cisterns. Do you know whether it is the heating feed and expansion cistern or the cylinder feed cistern?

You say it is being pumped in. Why do you say pumped? Is that just your assumption?

Is the hot water from the tap outlets excessively hot?

Come back with answers and the problem can be further discussed.

Central heating via back boiler. Immersion heater fitted to cylinder but unable to locate a control switch for it. I may have used the term pumped inappropriately. As I stood watching the cylinder the hot water would bubble and occasionally spray out of one of the pipes into one of the sections with a ballc**k in it. That water was extremely hot. Unable to say whether it was the heating or hot water side of the tank. Did not check temp of hot water at taps but I did notice it was brown. Lady had just returned from a week away and had fired heating up for first time. Don't know if this is relevant.

OK then boiler serves radiators and hot water cylinder.

Brown water from hot taps suggests either:

Heating water is entering into domestic hot water system - possibly coil in cylinder failed

Heating water is overheating and safety vent pipe is incorrectly discharging over hot water feed cistern.

galvanised steel pipework is used in domestic hot water system and the pipework is rusting. Let us know answer to this if you can.

Let us know if tap water is excessively hot as well.

If you are unable to determine difference between heating and hot water system components then you are going to need to call in a pro. Get hourly rates though and don't use a Yellow Pages listed emergency call out company. Try to get a recommendation from someone you know.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for info. I could only see copper pipe used in system. I think she'll have to try her plumber guy again on Monday, this seems to be beyond me. Cheers.

This elderly lady has had a guy out this morning who has recommended a whole new system. We have suggested contacting local council for a list of their accredited contractors.
In the mean time I have done some further checking. Radiators are very hot. Hot water at the taps is 80 degrees centigrade. Not brown today. Thermostat on the boiler is only on the second mark ( approx 4 o'clock position). Would it be correct to assume that this would indicate a faulty thermostat and if so would renewal be likely to sort overflow problem. I appreciate that this type of job needs to be done by a Corgi guy. Just looking for info and advice. A new system appears to be a large price to pay if it is merely down to a component failure.

TAP WATER TEMPERATURE IS DANGEROUS-it will readily scald a person and could kill them if say they ran a bath and got into it. WARN YOUR FRIEND PARTICULARLY IF SHE CANNOT SENSE TEMPERATURE VERY WELL.

Suggest that boiler is only used for short periods until the matter is resolved and only if necessary.

Her cylinder coil may have failed or the heating safety open vent pipe is incorrectly discharging over her hot water feed cistern. In addition her boiler thermostat may be faulty.

Suggest you contact the Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineers www.plumbers.org.uk unless you know of a reliable plumber. You can then get names and contact details of plumbers in your area. There is no guarantee that plumbers from this list will do a good job but they do have to abide by a Code of Conduct and have been assessed as being competent.

Suggest that your friend does not agree to a total replacement of the system until you have obtained at least one other opinion.

Almost forgot - first though see if your friend is eligible for a grant from your LA or any other organization. I am pretty certain that Clear Skies has closed it's books now but there may be something out there.

Thanks again for replies. Another neighbour has given a number for a plumber he uses so hopefully this will be sorted soon.

Just thought I'd give an update on this problem. Plumber on site today. Has advised that the cylinder is damaged and central heating water and domestic hot water are mixing. In addition there is a leaking ball valve causing the overflow. He's going to give a price for replacment. Let you know how we get on. I can't remember the last time we had so much excitement.

These cylinders are combination and often made by a firm called Fordic, though not in this case. The top of the cylinder is the F & E for the C/H. The reason the over flow was going was probably because the open vent was spewing water. I dealt with a case like this a couple of days ago. There are a few possible causes. I'd be really suprised to see that the two had indeed split and merged. careful you dont get ripped off. I did a job for someone the other day who's pipes were just silted up, and the previous plumber had insisted a full cylinder change was needed! Cowboy!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back