Overheating Boiler!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My central heating isn't broken - or at least I don't think it is but my boiler overheats and the needle goes into the red, so I am thinking there is a problem.

The boiler is a Vaillant Turbomax. It has got 2 dials on the front, one with a radiator on it and one with a tap on it. It doesn't matter what position I have the dial in, the boiler still overheats. The thermostat/timer thingy (can you tell I'm not a plumber?) is on 14 degrees to try and prevent it overheating but that doesn't work. If I turn the temperature up to 16 degrees it takes ages to switch off. Also what temperature should be displayed on the LCD panel on the front of the boiler? That seems to go up into the 50s whatever position the dial is in too. I have called out the plumber but it's going to be the end of next week before he can come out and to stop myself worrying I just want to know if anybody knows what the problem could be and whether it will be expensive.

The boiler's not that old, probably about 8 years old and it was installed under the Warmfront scheme but I had never had central heating before and wasn't actually shown how to use it by the installer so I'm just wondering if it's me that's doing something wrong? The boilers in one of the bedrooms so it's a bit of a pain to keep having to check on it. It does need water adding fairly regularly but I presume that is because it is overheating and there is stain on my outside wall where water comes out, presumably again when it overheats. Yesterday, I was really cold so I turned the radiator dial to the winter setting but when I went up today to check on it, there was no water in it. I suppose it's a good job I checked!

Sorry if I am speaking gobbledegook - I've tried to explain it as clearly as possible. On the bright side, at least it is still working, which is a bonus seeing as my oven has stopped working and my gas fires have been condemned! Apparently I can't have new gas fires until I have my chimney relined!!

I think I definitely need a lottery win! Thank god for hot water bottles!! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
If your boiler is losing water through the outside pipe and needs topping up, it's over-pressuring. Not over heating.

The needle is for pressure, not temp. You need an engineer to check your boiler. Poss expansion vessel fault.

Hope your numbers come up tomorrow! ;)

It is a pressure gauge not temperature. should be about 1bar cold. Probably expansion vessel needs topped up and a sticky fact at top of page will tell you how to do it.

Ahhh, so the temperature and the pressure have nothing to do with each other? God I am really stupid - it's no wonder I get confused.... :confused:

Thanks for your help - I knew somebody would help me work it out!!

Fingers crossed for the Euromillions tonight!!

Sponsored Links
Ha Ha personnaly I think you have more chance of winning the Euro millions than of ever being able to work out how your boiler works

Haha! Cheeky bugger! I think you're right though! :LOL:

Well, I had a brilliant weekend! My boiler is all fixed, easy as pie thanks to the advice on here and the help of a £3 foot pump from Tesco (other supermarkets are available)! I was on a roll so I even got round to removing a radiator that wasn't heating up properly and cleaning out all the gunk! So now my house is toasty warm and the boiler isn't overheating any more! I am going to make the most it before Eon put my gas price up (again!).

It's not bad for a mere girl - but I don't think I will give up my day job to become a boiler fixer just yet!

Thank you all so much for your help! You've saved me money and made me learn a few things about my boiler! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back