P Trap problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone offer a solution please as im stumped. The P-Trap under the kitchen sink has the washing machine drain outlet attached to it. When the washing machine empty's its cycle the water comes up into the sink and then drains away. The stench of stagnant water is horrific. I've took the P-trap apart to clean and make sure its not blocked but no joy. The smell of stagnant water goes back into the washing machine and the clothes smell foul even though its just been through its wash cycle.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
when you open the taps that feed into the p-trap,how fast does the water flow?.

I'd suggest there is a blockage, possible due to build up of food stuff/grease.

Have you tried caustic soda crystals left down sink to dissolve the gunk?. The other option is to use a pipe cleaner. I've seen them for here in HSS tool hire.. e.g.

http://www.hss.com/g/51440/Manual-Drain-Cleaner.html

If the pipes are accessible you could open the joints to find the blockage that's reducing the flow rate.

Sponsored Links
In my experience caustic soda ruins the push-fit seals. Try hot soapy water first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back