Packing with damp newspaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A woman who may/may not be a/my mother-in-law said that before plastering the void around newly fitted electrical sockets we should pack it out a bit with damp newspaper as the plaster level would be too deep (it varies from 2-5cm). I plastered the top section with bonding that was 2-4cm and this dried out with no problems.

In all the plaster research I've done I've never come across this. Is she referring back to the days of horsehair and lime, or is 'the newspaper trick' a well-kept trade secret?

Sponsored Links
Dunno! might be an "Old wives tale" ;)

Not sure newspaper that will dry out to become tinder dry is a good idea around electric fittings though.

Not a good idea at all partly filling out with paper, very amateurish. If it's deep, bring it out gradually wiith render/plaster. If it's a big/deep hole, you can even use "small bits" of brick bedded into the render/plaster as you go, to help fill up the bulk. Bring it out to within 10mm of flush, leave it a day or so, then plaster/ fill out flush.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back