Pain won't dry on small patch of plaster

J

jonathen

Hi all,

About a year ago I had the plaster removed to the brick in my bathroom, had waterproof plaster applied and then plastered over. Left this to dry all this time and last weekend painted the walls with 2 coats of emulsion. All went well - except for one small patch of the wall in the bottom corner. This patch, when painted, doesn't dry! 24 hours after painting it again (yesterday) and if I touch that patch, the paint comes off wet, as if it had just been applied. This is most strange as the rest of the area would be only tacky after a few hours.

Any idea what could cause this? The patch of wall doesn't appear any different to the rest of the plaster...

Thanks

Jon

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Taking a guess, is it sand and cement, then skimmed ?. Might be cat shyte in the sand and cement. The skimming will set hard over the sand and cement, fooling you its hard, but when pushed with a scraper, will go soft. Once dug out the smell will reveal all :LOL: . Could even be a damp
patch.

Err, cat shyte? I don't think so! As for damp patch, well, this should not occur as a damp proofing course was drilled into the wall, then waterproof plaster was applied, followed by ordinary plaster on top.

Hi jon,
How big is the patch, and is the outside ground level higher than the
dpc ?. dpc's do not always work, you might want to contact the firm who did the work.

Sponsored Links
Outside ground level is slightly lower than inside. Patch is small - no more than 4 inches square. Could it be because that bottom corner is where the condensation runs down to and the condensation had not dried the day I painted it? I did paint sealant on the walls before, and the sealant took to the wall everywhere, including that patch. That was on a very dry, warm day - whereas the painting was done on a cold wet day after the shower had been used...

Hi jon
Think you have answered your own question, seems to be the shower,
and condensation.

if your bathroom suffers condensation, you may have ended up with one or more wet brcks. If they are on an external wall, being wet will make them even colder, so more prone to condensationm so they will get still wetter.

Invest in an extractor fan and use it during and after every shower.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/building:condensation_in_houses

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back