Paint a white plastic flu - black

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a new boiler and the flu is white on the outside of the house - everything else is black - gutter, pipes etc , step , so it would be good to be black - the plumber said it was fine to paint - any particular paint i should use that works - I have some outside paint weatherseal by dulex for wood and metal and some hammeright

But as its plastic and the seal around is rubber , i want a good cover and not flaky which you can sometimes get

Sponsored Links
Painting plastic (meter boxes, waste pipes etc)

Clean thoroughly (I use a green nylon pan scourer, though a decorator's merchant sells something similar)

Wipe over with white spirit

Allow to dry

Apply a single flowing coat of oil-based non-drip gloss (no primer or undercoat)

You really need to ask this question to your boiler maker sadly your installer should have known the answer.
So e-mail or write to your boiler maker (usually the technical help/advice) and ask them. Then keep a copy of their reply with all the other paperwork supplied with your boiler.

Good Luck.

Sponsored Links
On mine, the non-drip is gloss not very glossy, having been exposed to the weather. The plastic downpipes will have been glossy when they were new.

Mine has however lasted over 20 years without needing to be painted again.

Non-drip makes it easier to apply a fairly thick coat with no brushmarks. I don't know if you can get non-drip oil eggshell or satinwood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back