What is this wood next to my gutters, and do I need to paint it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am preparing to hire a scaffold tower to paint my upstairs wooden window frames. While I'm at it, I figured it would be a good idea to clean the gutters and whatever else needs doing. I noticed this flaky black paint - touching it, it's wood. The white part looks fine, but the black is all flaking off. I am not bothered aesthetically, but is there is a risk of rot and damage now that it's flaking? Thanks
294500557_618586702956887_9175276779475690727_n.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes, that is the facia and it needs to be treated well.
The white part is the soffit and it could well be a thin asbestolux material so don’t scrape that one.
John

When faced with sofits like that, I normally back fill with 2k filler and sand them back before painting. I don't like using heatguns on sofits, I don't know what is in the cavity above them.

Whilst I respect @Burnerman, to me it looks like timber.

Definitely paint the facia board at the same time though.

I'd recommend scaffolding though. If you know a mate who knows someone, it will cost less than £250. It will span the whole (6m) property. I have used towers in the past. I hope to never use them again.

Thanks both. Can I leave the white part be, and just sand down and paint the facia with Ronseal 10 year wood paint? Hadn't thought about scaffolding - but since I don't know anyone and am in London, is is worth the £300 odd(?) over the £100 to hire a tower? Shame to hear towers are not as good as they look...

Sponsored Links
Thanks both. Can I leave the white part be, and just sand down and paint the facia with Ronseal 10 year wood paint? Hadn't thought about scaffolding - but since I don't know anyone and am in London, is is worth the £300 odd(?) over the £100 to hire a tower? Shame to hear towers are not as good as they look...

Erm... £250 for the scaffolding (cash). Where did you get £300 from?

I am based in west London, most of my work is Ealing. I could recommend a guy that I have used previously. If you live on the other side of London, I am guessing that he wont be interested, but I don't know.

If you hire a tower, you may need to pay a friend to help you put it up. You will then need to move, more than once. With scaffolding. you have a safe platform to work off that is continuous. The cost of scaffolding is normally pretty static. You need it for a month, and it wont cost more than it would it you needed it for a week. Hire a tower and you paying by the day- and you need to move it, and ensure that it is safe/secure.

I can PM you Rubin the scaffolder's number if you want.

Erm... £250 for the scaffolding (cash). Where did you get £300 from?

I am based in west London, most of my work is Ealing. I could recommend a guy that I have used previously. If you live on the other side of London, I am guessing that he wont be interested, but I don't know.

If you hire a tower, you may need to pay a friend to help you put it up. You will then need to move, more than once. With scaffolding. you have a safe platform to work off that is continuous. The cost of scaffolding is normally pretty static. You need it for a month, and it wont cost more than it would it you needed it for a week. Hire a tower and you paying by the day- and you need to move it, and ensure that it is safe/secure.

I can PM you Rubin the scaffolder's number if you want.
Yes, please PM me

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back