Changing large cast gutter to plastic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We need to paint this cast iron gutter and do all the facia boards as they havent been done for ages. The cast gutter leaks quite badly at the joints and so this needs addressing.

I am not sure of the size of the gutter as i havent been up there yet, but i was wondering if it might not be better to replace all the cast and go into a box pvc gutter system.

So my question is are there different sized systems we can buy. I have only used the square or half round gutters before and never used a really large gutter like these cast ones.

I think full removal will be better and then we can see how badly the wood is damaged on the fascias. I have seen some pretty rotted wood last week when i was up close to a section on the fire escape. So i am thinking this is a big job.

Attachments

• IMG_1731.JPG
    IMG_1731.JPG
    374.1 KB · Views: 68
Sponsored Links
if the gutter's not rusted through. simply remake the joints. its easy enough. and will out last the plastic

Reactions: CBW
Looks more like finlock guttering with cast iron downspouts

I noticed some flash band type repair on the gutter when I was doing a new roof window.

If this is finlock what does that mean. It will be original from 1890

Sponsored Links
It means it could be expensive to replace and I’ve read somewhere about asbestos presence. If they need a repair then they’re companies that do this, or flash band or roof pol/acrylpol

Ive just read about finlock gutters and they are concrete with cast iron. Mine are not anything like this.

Def cast iron and put up in 1890

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back